The Sketch Comedy Project Fund
The Toronto Sketch Comedy Festival is proud to continue our partnership with the Pat & Tony Adams Freedom Fund for the Arts to deliver project funding to sketch comedy troupes.
The Sketch Comedy Project Fund will award grants of up to $4000 to comedy troupes who are embarking on a project that represents the “next step” in their comedy career. Projects could include hiring a director or designer for a live show, embarking on a tour, showcasing at a festival, creating a promotional video or web series pilot… anything really, as long as you can justify why this is an important next step in the development of your comedy career.
At least two projects will be funded each year. Grants will be delivered in increments of $500, to a maximum amount of $4000. The amount awarded through The Sketch Comedy Project Fund can represent 100% of the expenses related to a project, but projects with other sources of revenues are welcome and encouraged.
- The application must come from an existing sketch troupe or a collection of comedians who want to collaborate for the project.
- The majority of the project participants must be Canadian citizens, or have permanent resident status.
- The applicants must be actively creating and performing sketch comedy in Toronto.
- The applicants must be able to justify why this project is important to their sketch comedy career – why this? why now?
- Both emerging and established comedians are encouraged to apply.
The Fund will not support tuition fees for training centres or accredited schools, nor will it support projects that benefit only a single comedian. Stand up projects, improv projects, and one-person shows are not eligible. Productions of plays/scripts are only eligible if the applicant can describe how the piece will be developed by an ensemble in the sketch comedy tradition. Traditional theatre productions of a comedic script are not eligible.
To make an application, fill out the online application form by clicking the “Apply” button below.
If you have any questions while completing your application, please reach out to us. We are here to help you put together the best application you can. All questions, concerns, technical difficulties can be directed to Paul Snepsts, Executive Director and Festival Producer: firstname.lastname@example.org
About Pat & Tony Adams
Pat and Tony Adams shared a deep love for the arts. In particular, they were devoted fans of jazz music, theatre, improv and comedy, and had great respect and affection for those who dedicated their lives to pursuing these passions professionally.
The Pat & Tony Adams Freedom Fund for the Arts continues their tradition of encouraging such artists, giving them the opportunity to develop their skills and share their talents with audiences everywhere.
- The Adventures of Tom Shadow – funding to produce a 2-week run of “The Adventures of Tom Shadow” at Factory Theatre
- Utilidors – funding to produce the web series “Time Slicers.”
- Fusion Comedy – funding to support work with a series of directors, coaching them through their writing process.
- Peter N’ Chris – funding to produce a web series called “Sidekicks”
- Uncalled for – funding to embark on their debut Toronto theatrical run of their revue “Playday Mayday“
- Panacea! – funding supported the creation of their first web short “Uber“
- Of Mud and Mirth – funding supported work with a director in preparation for their Montreal Fringe appearance.
- The Templeton Philharmonic – funding supported their 5-date New York showcase tour in November 2015
- The Junkyard Dukes – funding supported the production of their debut, self-titled sketch comedy album